Oily skin can be a blessing because oil keeps the skin from wrinkling by sealing in moisture. However, too much of a good thing, often caused by heat and humidity, can be a problem. Here are 7 tips to control oily shine.
1. Keep your skin and diet cool - cleansers and toners with eucalyptus or tea tree cool the skin, preventing excess oil production. Consuming alcohol and spicy foods heat up the skin, causing more oiliness. Eat lots of fresh vegetables (lightly steamed then chilled is best for digestion) and enjoy some delicious fruits.
2. Exfoliate - clean your pores twice per week, and try a product that has oil controlling properties, like willow bark, which also breaks up blackheads that are formed by trapped oil. Professional organic microdermabrasion using ground tea tree leaves also helps control oil. More frequent professional deep pore cleansing facials are usually needed in summer because of the faster rate of skin cell turnover.
3. Toner - Toners are great to cool and balance the pH of skin, therefore balancing oil production. Some toners have willow bark, but citrus types work well, too. Avoid alcohol and other harsh ingredients as they end up causing skin to overproduce oil.
4. Hydrate - You may think that with oily skin you don't need a moisturizer, but your skin loses water without a sufficient moisture barrier on the skin, which causes the skin to sense a problem and create its own barrier - oil. Its also important to drink adequate water. Aim for half your body weight in ounces (build up slowly).
5. Lighten Up! In summer, its time for a change of moisturizer that’s more suited to the warmer, more humid weather. If you use a cream, try a lotion. If you use a lotion, switch to a gel. If you use a gel, a serum or toner can help. Try non-chemical mineral spf powders to create a more matte finish.
6. Blot it - natural, non-chemical blotting tissue absorbs oil on the surface without stripping. Its easy to carry for those quick touch ups.
7. Avoid heavy makeup - foundation may feel too heavy, and if you continually apply powder over it, you’ll get a cake-y look. Try a lightweight organic tinted moisturizer with sunscreen, or mineral powder with tint.
Appointments for organic tea tree microdermabrasion and deep cleansing facials and oil-controlling home care products are available here at Calm. Book online or call 917. 596. 9535.
Tips for Calm Living
Health and beauty through massage and organic skincare