Lips are the first to show signs of aging because the skin of the lips is so thin. It doesn't secrete oil like other parts of our skin. Add irritants like spicy or salty foods, vinegars, alcohol, chemicals from lip care products, licking our lips, and smoking, and you end of with dried out lips with wrinkles around them. Not very kissable, nor very comfortable to walk around with. Here's my tops 3 suggestions for winter lip care.
1. Protection - Use emollient and occlusive lip balm without the chemicals. Emollient means "moisturizing" and an occlusive forms a protective barrier. You might think to reach for Vaseline, but this and most other lip balms are petroleum based. Petroleum will dry out the lips, plus add unnecessary chemicals that you end up licking all day - yuck. Make sure your moisturizer covers all the way to your lip line to minimize the lines that can form around the lips.
2. Exfoliation - non-acid, natural exfoliators are best. The easiest way is to use your microfiber pad or, my favorite, to take some organic sugar, add organic jojoba, scrub for a minute then rinse well and follow with protection.
3. Avoid smoking and applying chemicals - The lines around lips are caused by Smoking causes dryness but the puckering is a constant folding of the skin which make permanent creases (think of a paper you fold then try to unfold - the crease doesn't go away). In lipstick, avoid silicones, artificial dyes, lanolin and synthetic fragrances (marked as "fragrance" on the label - they're not required to list what's in it). Opt for natural or organic lip glosses with a tint.
Questions? I'm always here to help! 917. 596. 9535 or email@example.com
With the holidays over, don't just settle into the same old routine. Here's some ideas to help you look good and feel great all year.
1. Declare Sugar-free Tuesdays - sugar is not your friend. It erodes tooth enamel, causes glycation in skin (the seizing up of collagen fibers making them brittle), it puts on weight, makes you feel high then depressed from the downward plunge in blood sugar. Look closely at your food ingredients - you'll find it everywhere. While I advocate things in moderation, we're overdoing it often without even knowing. One day a week, eat no sugar. Its easy once you look at your labels. Need recipe ideas - contact me and I'll help.
2. Meditate - A quiet mind gives you peace, better focus, helps with chronic disease management, improves your immunity and enhances fertility, all in a few minutes per day. Fit it in during your commute, or during an afternoon break instead of coffee. Its easy to learn - there are apps online, and join a class (my favorite is at Bay Ridge Yoga)
3. Wear your spf every day. Skin cancer rates are on the rise. Protect your skin daily - it only takes 15 seconds. You'll need at least a 25spf, preferably with natural sunscreen ingredients like zinc and titanium. Apply it no matter what the weather. Build it in to your morning routine, just like brushing your teeth.
4. Mind your posture. Poor posture taxes your muscles, crunches your digestive organs, inhibits full breath. Some people find that switching their chair to a yoga ball helps them maintain better posture during the biggest part of their day. You can also just adopt these few posture tips; sit squarely on bottom bones of the pelvis; hold abdominal muscles firmly, spine erect but relaxed; relax shoulders; imagine a string at the crown of your head gently guiding your crown upwards, while chin is level with the ground.
So pick one or adopt all four, and start today. Even if you fall off the wagon, don't wait for the new year to start again. Just start again anytime and every time.
I wish you a happy and healthy new year!
calm: massage & skincare for women
917. 596. 9535
Tips for Calm Living
Health and beauty through massage and organic skincare