Spring prompts us to clean. Its almost like we're biological wired so that when the first nice days appear, we have the urge to make everything clean. Remember to clean your makeup drawer!
1. Natural cleaners - If you have a preference for natural cleaners, try mixing rosemary, cinnamon bark, eucalyptus and lemon essential oils, mix them with a little epsom salts, and put in a spray bottle with distilled water. Colloidal silver is also an old remedy for killing bacteria.
2. Thoroughly clean - Empty your makeup drawer, wipe it down with your choice of cleaner. Don't replace the makeup yet, though. See Step 3.
3. Throw out old makeup - Old makeup is a breeding ground for bacteria. This is because you touch the makeup when you apply it, whether its with your fingers or directly to skin or eyes. Throw out any makeup following these guidelines;
*liquid foundation - older than 1 year
*powered items (foundation, eyeshadow, blush) - older than 2 years
*liquid eyeliner and mascara - older than 6 months.
*lipstick or gloss - older than 1 year
4. Clean accessories - Clean out loose shavings and disinfect your pencil sharpener, dry the sharpener, then sharpen all the makeup pencils for a clean new edge. shine mirrors with some white vinegar mixed with water. Put any metal tools like tweezers into the dishwasher. Throw out old sponges. Get replacement foam applicators for eyeshadows, or better yet, clean your make up brushes (see below) and use these instead of foam.
5. How to clean your makeup brushes - This should be done frequently for those of you with acne, but for spring cleaning purposes, start now. Wet the brushes with warm water. Put a little antibacterial soap in your palm and work the brush into it, working up a good lather. You'll see colors coming out. Rinse well and repeat until there are is no more color coming out. Blot dry and lay flat to dry on a clean towel.
Looking for a new look - let me know when you schedule and I'll give you a beautiful free makeover with some healthier cosmetics! Book you appointment by phone (917. 596. 9535) or online by clicking here.
Tips for Calm Living
Health and beauty through massage and organic skincare